Tuesday, April 19, 2011

New Journal For New Explorations

I've never been very good with blogs, but I'm hoping to be somewhat semi-serious about keeping this one during my time in the Middle East. As many of you know, I lived in the Sultanate of Oman from January-May 2010. This summer I'll be back in the Middle East wandering and doing research for my thesis. The Fairbanks Foundation at Butler University has deemed by project worthy of funding and has awarded me a scholarship to pay for the costs of this research. I'm still in the planning phases of this trip, but I do know I'll be in Oman for several weeks. Where else I go, who knows...

Hopefully I will use this blog to post stories from my fieldwork, keep you updated on my whereabouts, and to confirm I've not permanently disappeared into the sands. Until I head overseas again, though, I intend to post pictures and stories from the narrative ethnography I wrote during my previous stay in Oman.

I hope you find yourself in the stories I write. The Middle East may look different on the surface, however under perceived images of this part of the world is a people and culture not so different from our own.

No comments:

Post a Comment